KAPOW

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAPOW

Welcome to the Kapow forum. Here you can get help, use your skills to help others and enjoy hanging out in the company of other Kapow Robot Developers.

2 posters

Process folder structure

tea

Process folder structure Empty Process folder structure

Post by tea Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi!

I have started to use Kofax Kapow recently, and I am trying to work out the best way to build my library of reusable snippets. I have yet to figure out a way which would be scalable for large RPA projects, and I am wondering if anyone else have managed to come up with solutions to these problems?

Since you can only use snippets within the same project, you need to have everything inside the same project unless you want to copy snippet files from one project to another, which would lead to several versions of one file, which is not what I want. I would like to build my library in a way so that there is only one version of each reusable part, so that if you need to make a change, you do it one place. Based on this, it seems like a good idea to have everything inside the same project.

In order to keep things structured I would then create for instance one folder for each application, so that if I have app1 and app2, the snippets associated with each of them are inside each of these folders. So I could have one login.snippet in app1, and another one in app2. But then, since I am not allowed to have two snippets by the same name inside the same project (even though they are in different folders), I need to name these snippets something like app1_login.snippet and app2_login.snippet.

This does not seem like a big problem for this particular example, but when my app1 folder starts to grow, I would normally like to organize it in subfolders to make my library structured and neat. The problem is that each time I create another subfolder, I would need the name of that subfolder to also be incorporated in the name of the snippet, in order to ensure there are no two snippets by the same name. So the length of the file path then grows by twice the amount of characters (app1\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder3_folder2_folder1_app1_actualSnippetName.snippet). At some point I imagine I would reach the maximum amount of allowed characters, so this seems to be a problem for scaleability?

The only solution that I have come up with so far is to keep everything related to app1 in just one folder, which will probably amount to a lot of files for the applications that are most used! I could still keep the snippet name folder3_folder2_folder1_app1_actualSnippetName.snippet to sort of pretend that I am dealing with different subfolders, but it is still a bit headachey.. Does anyone have a better solution, or is there something that I have not thought about here?
    jking
    jking

Process folder structure Empty Re: Process folder structure

Post by jking Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:30 am

In my Library I have several Project Folders (1 Project Folder per Functional Department in my case).

Within each Project File I have Additional Folders for the Business Processes I am automating within each Functional Department  
    (1 Folder for each Business Process Type) + a Standard Objects Folder

Within My Standard Object Folder I have 2 Sub Folders: Snippets and Types.

Every Snippet and Type used in any Robot for that Business Process is in the Standard Object file for that project.
      Note, If I need a similar Snippet or Type in a different project I generally put a copy in the appropriate folder.

When I upload to Management Console I generally move to the (Root ).

In just one Business Process Folder → Standard Objects I have 1,085 Snippets/Types in 46 different Folders.
    tea

Post by tea Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you for your answer, jking. I think I would still opt for keeping everything in the same project as I don't like the idea of copying files and ending up possibly with several versions in production of the same object. Also, I think I would still need to use long names to make sure two snippes don't have the same name, unless I plan to rename them when moving them into a new project - which would make it even more confusing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:32 pm